Guardians of the Galaxy: So Nice, I Saw It Twice! Then Thrice, then frice...

Guardians of the Galaxy: This movie has got to be one of my favorite movies that I've seen in theaters. I say this because I have seen it not once, not twice, but five times. I am pretty proud to say that I have the majority of the movie memorized. It drove my boyfriend crazy while we watched it his second time, my fifth time, and I was quoting right along with Drax.

A lot can be said for this film. Apparently, those that made it expected to it be received by a few people, making just enough over the 'flop' point. (That would be box office returns of <$1mil.) But that was far from what they got. "Guardians of the Galaxy earned $11.2 million on its Thursday night pre-opening, surpassing Captain America: The Winter Soldier's gross ($10.2 million) for the biggest Thursday evening start for a movie in 2014." (See Wikipedia article on Guardians of the Galaxy.) It was widely received and well loved by many, myself included.

For a lower budget film, I have to say that their graphics were pretty darned amazing. Sure, they cheated a little bit. (I mean, look at the Dark Aster. Nothing but a bunch of textured, flattened cubes.)But they didn't cheat on the story, or on Rocket's fur. Rocket looked like he could have been a real raccoon, trained to walk and talk like a person.

My favorite scene in the movie was where Groot got over-excited and killed a bunch of Sakaaran foot-soldiers in a tunnel. He reminds me of an enthusiastic child. My second favorite scene is in the combat scene in the prison, when Rocket catches the gun, then has a grand old time shooting anything that moves.

My least favorite scenes were the two scenes where extras were just hanging around on set, showing a minimum amount of emotion. These were the tail end of the bar fight and the big, ending combat scene. So, the bar fight. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Rocket. $40 million credits." In the real world, those scum of the bar would have perked their ears up: "$40 mil, huh? I could sure use $40 mil..." I mean, really guys? I have Streetwise level 0, and I know that. So, the big ending scene. The whole city has been evacuated. Shiny! The Dark Aster crashes into the city, destroying vast, glorious structures, but doesn't harm any people. BUT WHAT IS THIS? Suddenly, the whole city spurts up from the ground like a crop of cucumbers in a wet season? I dunno,guys. I think the continuity editor messed up his job. The only reason I can figure that they did those scenes that way was to give the audience people to connect to in the film, making it feel more like they were there, that this whole scene was very important. A lot like how the Indians use Brahma in their religious paintings.

On a much smaller mess-up scale, the scene where Gamora is being drug away to the bathrooms to have her throat sliced, then Quill goes scooting off after her. When Rocket wakes up, his fur is all flattened against his face, but then, hey! presto: his fur is all fixed.

So I have my complaints against the movie. But honestly, three scenes that I don't like out of a ~2.5 hour flick? Nothing to be sneezed at! I absolutely adored the movie. I'm looking forward to when it comes out on DVD and Bluray. My dad was joking that I would just put it on loop for a couple weeks.

It's been a couple week since I saw it last, so I'm thinking that I might go and see it again. I needed a bit of a break, even from the greatest movie I've ever scene. (Well, that's an over-exaggeration, but it's true for now.) If you haven't yet seen GoG, I highly recommend it. It was well worth the $30 something dollars that was spent on it for my sake.

Comments

Popular Posts